Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Well, hello 3rd trimester!

As a runner I have always held the self-delusional notion that I am impervious to "regular" pregnancy afflications.  I floated through the third trimester of my first pregnancy fairly effortlessly (until they put me on bedrest- that wasn't too much fun).  This pregnancy - well - let's just say it hasn't been quite so effortless.

Discomfort is a runners medium - without it - they couldn't break through to the next level.  Pregnancy, too, is about handling various levels of discomfort: some physical, some mental.  For me, the mental is more menacing.  Not that I'm complaining, but if I were to complain (remember - self delusion!) this would be my Top 5 list:

5. Victoria's Secret has conspired against me
to deliver catalogs of scantily clad swimsuit models daily - sometimes two catalogs a day.  Not exactly the ego boost I look for every day when I come home from work, absolutely exhausted, with a 2 year old in tow. Where are the "Big Bellies Rock" catalogs? (hmmm...now that is an idea!)
Where are all the big bellies?

4. Sam Summer also has arrived ridiculously early
this year. Normally, that would be a cause for celebration (it is my all time favorite drink) - but for now, I will just dream about that cold, lemony, taste....
Mmmmm....

3. There are no less than 3 major national running events
from February to March in NEW ENGLAND! THAT NEVER HAPPENS!  (Snowshoe Nationals, Masters Indoor Track Nationals, and the National Masters 10k Road Championships).
Masters Championships...IN NEW ENGLAND!

2. Leg cramps and tiny bladder syndrome.
 The OB says my leg cramps are due to dehydration (well, yeah, I'm a teacher in a tough school who is allotted 2 breaks a day - as much as I would love to drink the recommended amount of water, I simply can't without the luxury of bathroom trips).  So....I live for the that wonderful 2 day period known as the weekend when I can drink all the water I want, and go to the bathroom whenever I please (yeah, it's the little things!)
Yes, I dream about unlimited access to a porta potty

1. Drumroll please......The Boston Marathon.
I will totally admit that I get cranky every year that I am NOT running Boston.  I love everything about the Boston Marathon - the hoopla, the expo, the training, specatating, but most of all...running it!  I'm not complaining, remember, but if  I were to complain, right? The fact that my runs are waddles at this point doesn't help that cranky state (sorry friends and family - the gloom will be over the day after Boston!)
The Grandaddy of all marathons...


When I take a (non-hormonal) look at my "rants", I arrive at the conclusion that what I am merely asking for is a day of: a stellar run at  Boston, while sporting a sexy little number from Victoria's Secret, while simultaneously running SnowShoe Nationals, setting the National 3000 indoor masters record, winning the National 10k Road Championships surrounded by an  unlimited supply of water, Sam Summer, and porta-potties.  Is that too much to ask? An entirely rational request, of course!  Isn't that what every pregnant woman dreams of?

Yes, runners are different indeed.  My rant list is probably not typical of your pregnant third trimester woman.  Perhaps other female runners felt the same during their pregnancies.  I'll try to stay a little more rational.

I also know nothing can bring the happiness that bringing a new little life into this world can bring.

A porta potty in my classroom would be nice, though.


1 comment:

  1. European pregnancy site My Tummy have a new collection out for summer which includes some beautiful pregnancy dresses and tops. They also design and create trousers and lovely breastfeeding dresses. All the clothing is made with soft fabrics and pregnancy safe dyes, while lots of the clothing doubles up for breastfeeding so you don't need to buy a whole new wardrobe once the little one comes!

    ReplyDelete