Monday, February 3, 2014

Disclaimer...and a pregnancy Top 10

Disclaimer:  If you are pregnant, have been pregnant, thinking about becoming pregnant, and find nothing enjoyable about the pregnancy state, then this is not the post for you.  If you think the pregnancy state rocks, read on....

Pregnancy is exactly that: a state.  It is not an illness, disease, or handicap (although it does get you some leverage in the bathroom line...).  Pregnant athletes today are not frail, fainting damsels in distress portrayed in the movies that should be relegated to the couch eating bon bons.  Sometimes I need to remind myself that the simple phenomena of women running is a fairly new concept. After all, the first women to officially run the Boston Marathon was within my lifetime - 1972 (yeah, I'm old).  The concept of women running, training, racing while pregnant? Well, now that is just starting to catch on. (Thank you Paula Radcliffe and Kara Goucher!)

When I was pregnant with Ella 3 years ago, there was almost nothing in the cyber world about women running let alone racing while pregnant.  The only book I could find was Dr. Clapp "Exercising Through Your Pregnancy". (which I found very helpful).  Both Kara Goucher and Paula Radcliffe blogged about their workouts - but Paula Radcliffe is the freakin' world record holder in the marathon, so I couldn't so much relate to her "jogging" track workouts 7 months pregnant at what is my normal race pace.   I had heart anecdotal tales about some of my running peers doing workouts, but I wasn't comfortable with hitting the track or hills.  Of course my main priority was to do what was best for my growing baby, and I knew that staying healthy was a key element.

Blazing your own trail and gathering a thick skin is sometimes the only course of action.  Armed with little information, but an OK from my OB, I ran and even signed up for a a few fun races.  Of course my pace was much slower, I wore a heart rate monitor, and never ran until I was out of breath.  Did I get some less than kind remarks and looks? Of course.  I knew that people never meant anything negatively - there is just not much known about running while pregnant, and doing it publicly put myself out there for judgement.

I ran until 37 weeks, when I was put on bed rest for high blood pressure.  My normal blood pressure is ridiculously low (80/60) - so to see a systolic number approaching 200 was all that I needed to lay in bed for those 2 weeks and enjoy the calm before the storm.  (I won't elaborate on the birth - Lauren Fleshman's birth experience blog could have been written by me and suffice it so say that there is no pain I have ever felt, or imagine ever will again, that can compare. Marathons shmarathons - nothing.)

3 years later, everybody seems to be talking and blogging about running and pregnancy.  Fellow runners have asked me for advice - what I did while I was pregnant, etc.  So.....here goes my Top 10 list of do's and don'ts.  I'm no expert, but I did learn a lot through the experience:

1. Get an OB under 40 years of age - 30 if possible (just kidding, sort of)
The OB practice that I go to is comprised of OB's who run the philosophy gamut of "lay on your left side for 9 months" to Dr. Awesome, who is young and totally believes exercise is essential to a healthy pregnancy.  I schedule my appointments with Dr. Awesome.

2. If you can't handle the fact that you will run slower and people will ask you "what happened to you today", don't sign up for a race.
It actually takes a lot of discipline to stay within yourself, monitor your breathing, and not get caught up in the competition.  On the flip side, it's really fun and may cause you to fall in love with running all over again.

3.Plan your routes around porta-potties and friendly neighborhood bathrooms.
Just trust me on this one :)

4. You normally run like a gazelle - your stride is a thing of beauty! (at least in your own mind!).  Ummm....not so much anymore.  Think hippo donned with track spikes.  You get the picture.  Get over it - again, that thick skin thing.

5. Run with a friend or relative who always says "oh, I could never run with you".
It's a mutual feel good thing.  My most cherished runs were those with my 70 year old Father (I'll do anything to be running the times he can run in his 70's) where we would talk, laugh, and just enjoy each other's company.

6. Remember that you are creating a new life.
Of course you have to walk sometimes! Of course somedays you simply will not be able to get out the door!  Give yourself some latitude.

7. Volunteer at a local running event.
An awful lot goes on behind the scenes of any running event, and it really gives you perspective and a sense of appreciation.

8. Leave the watch at home.
This is a particularly helpful tip third trimester.  In my mind, I was running the 4 mile loop sub 7's.  In reality, my husband was ready to get in the car and come look for me I was gone so long.

9. It's always a heat wave.
Even in January.  Seriously, your body runs a degree or two higher than normal during pregnancy - so just remember that on those steamy July days.  I've been known to run through blizzards in scorn of the treadmill (dreadmill) - but a 95 degree day at 9 months pregnant - I'll take the climate controlled dreadmill.

10.  It's all over in the blink of an eye.
Yes, there may be a day 8 months along when you think "this will never end" - look at all those lithe track runners!  You will soon enough be a lithe track runner, with your gorgeous creation cheering
"Go Mommy", and you will feel a twinge of nostalgia for those days you waddled along, taking in the scenery, and feeling those little kicks.
See? Running during pregnancy can be fun! 2/2/14 (5k race 19:12)- 22 weeks
Photo courtesy of Ted Tyler

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes!

      Delete
  2. Awesome tips for running pregnant! I'm hoping to run throughout my future pregnancies, too, if my husband and I are blessed with baby #2. I really want to read Dr. Clapp's "Exercising Through Your Pregnancy" book. Kara Goucher had a book that covered a bit of pregnant running that was a great read, too.

    ReplyDelete