Tuesday, February 11, 2014

New Balance Boston Indoor Games Recap: through the eyes of a 2-year old

What I have always enjoyed most about teaching, coaching,  and being around young children is the refreshing perspective of the world that they have to offer.  Sometimes I think with all of our collective adult experiences and education, we can still learn a lot from a 2 year old.  They haven't developed any filters or biases yet, and see the world through a much clearer lens than we can.

My 2 year old daughter loves to watch any sort of running event (does the poor kid have a choice?). Sippy cup in hand, she grabbed her spot on the couch this past Saturday to cheer on the track athletes at the NB Indoor Games with me.  Her commentary was much better than any ESPN Sportscast (in my very, very biased maternal opinion!):

1. Some boys and girls like to color their bodies before they do a run-run.  Maybe I will color my arms.  (The coolness appeal of tattoos starts young - really young)

2. Don't go until you hear a big boom.

3. Go really fast when you hear people playing bells.

4. That boy doesn't know how to play Red Rover.  I think he wants his Mommy. (Sorry Rupp, she calls 'em like she sees 'em)

5. That girl really wants her Mommy to hold her. (Jenny Simpson probably wanted a lot of comforting things at that moment, I would imagine.)

6. The boys and girls who win Red Rover get prizes.  They get flowers.  I want prizes, too. (living room game of Red Rover ensues for the next 30 minutes and we go through a whole sheet of stickers as prizes).

7. I think next time I will go there and win the flowers.  (give it a few years, honey, but I love the early confidence)

I'll try to carry some of that perspective with me the next time I step onto the oval.  Maybe we are all just playing childhood games on a grander scale.  That attitude would certainly help the nerves factor. Until then, I'll continue to sharpen my elbows and work on that turnover in spirted games of Red Rover and Red Light Green Light.
Ella's First Race - Game Face on

No comments:

Post a Comment